2. Do Your Research. The best source for career information in the US is the Occupational Handbook. Outside of the US consult with a local librarian to get information specific to your country. In addition, check to make sure that the numbers stack up. Although guide books such as the Occupational Handbook are great the numbers may not always hold up, so do a search on monster.com or indeed.com for jobs you are interested in pursuing and see how many show up and at what salary range.
3. Create a Career Profile. After you research the career and it is a go now you need to take the next step and create a profile of the types of skills and experiences you need to succeed in that job. The best way to do this is to go to your favorite job search engine like monster.com or indeed.com and find five to ten positions that you would likely apply and then read each with a particular focus on the type of skills, experiences and education/certifications employers are looking for in a candidate.
4. Identify Skill or Experience Gap. Once you know what employers want review your current skills and experience and see where there is a significant gap and close it. This process will ensure you can get your foot in the door.
5. Network Before You Make the Change. As the saying goes “it is all about who you know”. Figure you who in your network might be able to connect you to the right people in order to get into a new career. Also, find specific networking groups that are related to the career you want to get into and become active in them right away.
If you like this article please write a comment, Google+ it below or click the Facebook Like button to your right. Also, signup to receive exclusive content by typing your information at the top of the page below the big blue arrow.
Now Got Get Em’
recruiterMikeCrecruiterMikeC's Recommendations. I have personally read each book listed and all items are Amazon Best Sellers.
1. "Headhunter" Hiring Secrets: The Rules of the Hiring Game Have Changed . . . Forever!
2. The Power Formula for Linkedin Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
3. Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0: How to Stand Out from the Crowd...
4. Kindle Fire, Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi